Friday 15 January 2010

How do you find out how many images have been taken on a Canon 30D?

I am talking about the total shot count of the body, and not the picture count from a CF card. Also, what is the usual life of the body, in terms of shot count.

I need to know, because I think mine has reached it's limit and needs a tune-up.

Thanks!

Do you mean the file numbering count? Did you get an error message on your screen? If so what is it?

Check out page 29 and then page 70 of your user's manual to see if this is what you are looking for. If you don't have then manual, click on this link for a PDF version of your camera's manual.

[URL Truncated]

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Answer by B Y on 02 Jan 2010 10:06:50
Best Answer

Modern DSLRs don't usually need a "tune-up." Your shutter should be rated for about 50,000 cycles but, there's no set "limit." I've seen 30Ds in service with far more than 50,000 cycles on their shutters. The only tool I know of that might give you a shutter count is a Windows app called EOSInfo ([URL Truncated] which was originally written for the later 40D. I've never tried the utility on anything but my 40D so I don't know if it supports the 30D.

If the utility above doesn't work, you will need to send the camera to Canon to get an actual shutter count. For what it's worth, it is possible your shutter has failed if it has more than 50,000 cycles on it. Replacement again requires a trip to Canon. Last I heard, a shutter replacement for an out of warranty 30D costs $300-$350 with parts and labor (the shutter itself only costs about $40). It's worth noting you can probably buy a low shutter count 30D for about the same price.

Answer by Eclipse on 02 Jan 2010 10:07:08

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment